Lost in Translation By Eva Hoffman "The very place where language is at its most conventional, where it should be most taken for granted, are the places where I feel the prick of artifice." Pg.389

Word Count:250


    Lost in Translation by Eva Hoffman is a story that drives a narrative of understanding the language of different cultures and the immigrant experience. Eva Hoffman moved with her family from Poland to Canada. The entire story of Lost in Translation talks about Eva Hoffman's experience learning new words, and phrases and how they conflict with her Polish mind. These recent changes also impact her relationships with other people in which they are trying to figure out what they mean in what they say. This inevitably gets lost in translation as in the title's name, making her experience more difficult. 


    The quote from Lost in Translation page 389 talks about the difficulties that were faced in her everyday life, in learning new customs, ideas, and words. The purpose of the quote was to highlight the differences and Eva Hoffman's experience as an immigrant. Eva Hoffman even talked about how different words had different meanings like the word river which was the opposite in English than it was in Polish. Eva Hoffman even spoke about how when trying to figure out the meaning of words she would analyze it and lose the immediate reaction time. Which demonstrates how hard adjusting and understanding a new language and culture was. This was profound because not many people will think about how this is affected as we take it for granted. Although many things that are common to use take on completely different meanings and ideas in other cultures like from Poland to Canada.

Comments

  1. I thought this excerpt was very interesting, as well as your interpretation of the chapter. I think the title is a great significance to the morals behind the story and I think it is one of the better chapter titles we have come across thus far. I cant imagine what Eva had to experience through her travels from Poland to Canada and learning a whole new language that I feel like people who speak English do not speak it that well anyways. I think your quote captured what it was like to be in her mind while navigating this new life and your description and interpretation of the quote was very compelling. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment