"I grew up feeling like I lived on another planet, or some isolated world in a hostile, or at the best, unfriendly, firmament." Pg. 510 From Zami: a new spelling of my name / Audre Lorde.


Word Count: 289



    The narrative From Zami: a new spelling of my name by Audre Lorde is very different from any other text we have read during class this semester. The narrative talks about her childhood growing up in Harlem, although her family was from the West Indies. She talks about her experiences through the Depression and how it affected tensions, as well as how it impacted racial tension as well. Audre Lorde goes on to talk about how her family was treated and how her mother was treated, as she looked up to her mother. Although her childhood was not on that was easy by any means as she grew up blind. Audre Lorde talks about her difficult learning and how her experience in school was difficult and her teachers were often mean to her, which has something to do with her being blind but also potentially her race. 


    The quote from above demonstrates how hard her childhood was, even though she was loved and valued as a child. Audre Lorde had a hard time as she was very different from other children because she was mixed but also blind. Audre Lorde's childhood being blind changed her life and made it very complicated as it took her a while to learn, read, as well as speak. Audre Lorde's life was difficult throughout her relationships with her family made things difficult. Although her mom loved her interest in school and gave her a massive public display of affection. She felt isolated though because she was so different, she prayed that she would have a little sister or someone. Overall I think that her life demonstrates how much she overcame and was strong and persistent to live during such a difficult time. 



Comments

  1. I agree in that I think this authors story is very impactful with everything that she went through. I think that her difficult life really shaped the person that she became like you said it demonstrated how much she overcame in such a difficult time. I can't imagine being blind in general let alone during this time. It was very interesting to me how much of interest she had in education despite how hard her childhood was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment