"The custom of letting obedient children be seen but not heard was so agreeable to me that I went a step further: Obedient children should not see or hear if they chose not to do so." Pg.50 Maya Angelou Chapter 1 I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Word Count: 266
This quote demonstrates the portrayal of Maya Angelou's life or account of life experiences. Maya Angelou's I know why the caged bird singing demonstrates her life as a child in which she was under a lot of oppression. Maya Angelou always had to be in tip-top shape according to her mother and she always had to present herself accordingly. Maya Angelou had to be obedient and observant caged in a prison of an obedient child. This prison is also clearly evident when she and her grandmother were outside and the other girls were messing with her grandmother, and Maya Angelou was forced to just sit there and play her role of obedience.
I think that Maya Angelou gives a unique perspective on being a woman and even a child, in which from a young age she was taught to always be clean and pure. She was supposed to be quiet, submissive, and obedient in all capacities. I think that her story shows the nature in which women were supposed to be seen but in the end, she ends up breaking her silence in church and causes a scene that was well worth it. In a way, I feel as though she finally learned a way to be herself and not just what everyone wanted her to be. While it wasn't a huge betrayal it was something that was small and brought her joy. I think that Maya Angelou does an amazing job breaking through the narratives of women and brings a unique genuine perspective as a child to connect with others and their disobedience as kids.
I really like that quote and I think that it also demonstrates exactly why the editor chose her and this story. I think it does demonstrate her upbringing but also the way she chose to rebel against it. She knew exactly what was expected of her, which was to be an obedient child but outside of the specific instructions from her grandmother she was able to create her own sense of identity within the way she actually obeyed these 'commands'.
ReplyDeleteI fully agree with you on the unique perspective Angelou gives regarding being a child. She writes in a very relatable way even for a topic that isn't going to be relatable for everyone.
ReplyDelete